Wednesday, May 15, 2013

what type of camera should I use to do stop motion photography?

Question by Matthew Bennett: what type of camera should I use to do stop motion photography?
I really enjoy doing stop motion photography but I just learned that the camera I am using isn't meant for stop motion. I also heard that the camera is only good for a certain amount of clicks. So instead of the camera I have right now what camera should I use?


Best answer:

Answer by fhotoace
What are you saying when you say a camera is only good for a certain amount of clicks. Are you talking about shutter cycles? Are you talking about how many shots you can take before the camera buffer fills and you have to wait until those images write to the memory card?

What exactly do you mean by "stop motion"

What that could mean is freezing the action when shooting sports. That just takes a high shutter speed, 1/500th or faster

What it could also mean is something called time-lapse photography, were incremental shots are taken over a specific period of time and then later compiled and played back as a video

What do YOU mean by "stop action" and tell us more about your number of clicks on a camera.

One of my cameras has over 200,000 shutter cycles on it and it is working just fine

The camera I use when shooting time lapse is an old Nikon D200. I can set it up on a tripod, set the exposure manually and use an AC adapter to power it as long as necessary or until I fill the memory card



What do you think? Answer below!

2 comments:

  1. I think I know what you mean, maybe.

    Yeah, a certain amount of clicks. They're rated for 20,000 to 500,000 clicks but you just get them repaired when they go bad.

    As far as "stop motion," it's a vague term but you probably are referring to frame rate. That is, how many pictures per second. The semi-affordable SLR cameras (Nikon D3100, Canon Rebel series cameras) are good for about 3 fps (frames per second).

    The Nikon D300s and Canon 7D are good for 8 frames-per-second, but if you really really need something cool, try to find a Casio EXILIM Pro EX-F1. I don't know if they still make it (it's from 2009) but it shoots a whopping SIXTY frames per second and you can almost stop a bullet with a frame rate like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikon D3000 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera
    *10.2-megapixel DX-format imaging sensor for prints up to 20 x 30 inches
    *Includes 3x 18-55mm Zoom-Nikkor VR Image Stabilization lens
    *Nikon EXPEED image processing; in-camera image editing and Active D-Lighting
    *3.0-inch color LCD screen; 170-degree wide-angle viewing

    ReplyDelete